Friday, January 9, 2009

In Another's Shoes

I have become abysmally negligent of this blog. Whenever my thoughts flitted over it's existence during the last month, I simply excused my care with the mantra "it's the holidays!" I intend to do some storytelling and picture posting from our holidays, which I will do in the very near future. But I made it a goal to post tonight, so post I will--until Jared gets back from the Redbox.
Lindsey has instigated a new game in our family. We have played it two or three times now in as many days. It begins by Lindsey telling me that I am not Mom, but that SHE is Mom. Thus, my "gentle words of guidance" to pick up the toys, cannot be adhered to at this time. The question then arises: "then who am I?" Well, I'm told, I am Lindsey, and Afton is Dallin, and Dallin is Dad and Dad is Davey, and Davey is Afton.
The game changes everyone and everything around here. Dallin (Afton) gets to ask Mom (Lindsey) if she can have more juice before dinner, and Lindsey (me) has to ask Mom (Lindsey) if she can "help" cook the beef.
The game lingered on for over an hour last night. And what was the result? Davey working until late and missing dinner. Afton making a mess of her vegetables all over her face and the kitchen floor. Dad complaining that he had to do homework (coloring the matching pictures can be rough at times). Lindsey giving a bath to Mom and Dallin while Afton stood gripping the edge of the tub, bobbing her head up and down until it was her turn. And Davey returning home from work to be corrected numerous times on what names to call whom, until just after he had them secured--at which point the game was abruptly declared adjourned until Lindsey's whim reopens the chaos next time.
Now, if that doesn't make your head spin, go read The Fox in Socks for YOUR bedtime story five times fast.

10 comments:

Julia said...

Sarah it's so fun to catch up with you. Your blog always makes me smile. Your posts are always so creative & fun. Man, what will you come up with next? Your kids are so adorable & look so much like their beautiful mother!

Meighan said...

You're such a good sport! I'd probably be party pooper and tell them the game was over along ago. Once again, you are probably the most patient mother I know. Keep up the fun posts!

holly said...

ver funny sarah...

Candice Carter said...

So cute Sarah.... I'm glad you posted!

jhoopes said...

Welcome back, Sarah! What a fun post! Loved reading about everyone in one way or another!!

jordan said...

I've been waiting for you to post!! Oh how I miss the fun and crazy times with the Parkers. Lindsey is such a little character.
Ryder still talks about Dallin almost daily. I wish they could ride their bikes together. boo hoo!

Emily said...

She is hillarious! That is all very complex for a two-year-old. I was getting confused! Anyhow, you really can steal any pictures off my blog. I can email them to you, too. If I become famous I give you permission to sell any of them for money!

Emily said...

I was just going to post a picture of David on my photography blog and I just wanted to make sure I was spelling his name right. In looking over your blog, you spelled his name Davie, Davy, and Davey. Which one is right? I am so confused.

Dre + Drew - Pacific Northwest Living - DuPont, WA said...

I love that a few of our friends have blogs so we can keep up with everyone. I talked to Mindy about us having a girls trip somewhere. I think it would be so much fun to have a girls trip!

Fleming Family said...

Yay for blogs and facebook! So, I was wrong...2 boys and 2 girls! That's fantastic! I'm excited to stay in touch now!